High-Protein Irish Cream Cold Brew
I’ve never tried the Irish Cream Cold Brew from Starbucks (I’m boring and typically only drink black coffee), but was immediately intrigued by the idea of this drink.
So, I decided to make my own!
The Starbucks version is essentially cold brew coffee with Irish cream flavored syrup, but I wanted to get more creative than that. No, these is no actual Bailey’s in it.
We’re going to make our own high-protein Irish cream, froth it into a foam, and pour it over our cold brew!
With 75 calories and 9g of protein, that’s not too shabby!
The secret here is going to be a little bit of almond extract. If you’ve never heard of that, don’t worry- your grocery store carries it. It’s a little tiny container of extract, but a little bit goes a long way. The flavor is very distinct, allowing us to make a copycat Irish Cream flavor without all the extra calories and sugar.
Let’s get to it.
Irish Cream Cold Foam
- 3/4 Cup Milk of your choice (I used Silk Protein, which is reflected in the nutrition, but you can use any milk you'd like)
- 7g Granular Sugar Substitute
- 7g (1/4 Scoop) Vanilla Whey Protein
- 7g (1/4 Scoop) Chocolate Whey Protein
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Tsp Almond Extract
- 16oz Cold Brew Coffee of Choice (see notes below on making your own)
- Combine all of these ingredients for the cold foam and mix well.
- Use a frother for 30-60 seconds to turn this into a cold foam! If you don’t have a frother, you can furiously mix in a shaker bottle until it gets foamy, or throw everything into a high-speed blender.
- Pour 8oz of cold brew coffee into 2 separate glasses (or mason jars, because they always make coffee look better).
- Pour half of your cold foam over the top of each cold brew and enjoy!
- I don’t like my cold brew overly sweet. If you like a sweeter coffee, you may want to sweeten your cold brew to your usual liking first and THEN top with your Irish cream cold foam, since it doesn’t add a ton of sweetness throughout on its own. A little bit of brown sugar in your cold brew will do the trick.
- If you want to make your own cold brew, it's actually VERY easy. Check out my post all about cold brew here, and scroll down about halfway for a full walkthrough on making your own cold brew coffee.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Drinks Serving Size 1 Cold Brew
Amount Per Serving Calories 75Total Fat 3gCarbohydrates 2gProtein 9g
Hey! I’m Matt, but you probably know me as @CheatDayDesign on Instagram. I’m the founder here at The Hungry Truth, and to say I’m passionate about what we’re doing here is quite the understatement.
Name a diet trend or crazy theory that has existed in the past 15 years, and I’d be willing to bet that I’ve tried it. I went through a period of not eating after 6pm. I also went through a period of eating pure honey before bed because I heard it burned fat while you slept. I’ve tried fat burning supplements, I’ve eaten low-fat, I’ve drank apple cider vinegar, I’ve chugged protein shakes during the “anabolic window” immediately after my workouts… I’ve seriously tried it all. And I’ve seen way too many people falling into those same traps as I did.
My goal is to help everyone make sense of this whole “healthy” thing. At the end of the day, we’re all going to have different definitions of what being healthy truly means, but there are ideas and principles that ring true for all of us. I want to bring that information to you, because we shouldn’t have to keep falling for these silly traps.