High-Protein Fettuccine Alfredo
Fettuccine Alfredo is basically the grown-up version of Mac n’ Cheese… and with this modified high protein recipe, it has become a daily staple for me. In the macro-friendly recipe world, it seems like Mac n’ Cheese gets all the love, and as a man of Italian descent, I felt I had to do something to give the ‘Cinne the love it deserves (yes, I just called it ‘Cinne, this is a judgment-free zone).
Super rich, creamy, cheesy, and 10x better tasting than any of the jarred stuff (not to mention significantly better macros). One plate of this recipe packs 40g OF PROTEIN (!) and only 15g of fat. That is strictly pasta + cheese sauce… no meat added.
The secret ingredient here is cottage cheese (stay with me). Cottage cheese used to scare me off due to the “curds”, but in this recipe, we will melt it down and blend to make sure the sauce is smooth and creamy. Additionally, cottage cheese has a very mild, mozzarella-like taste and has the highest protein content / (I believe) the best macros of any cheese… making it the perfect vessel for any macro-friendly cheese sauce. We’ll pair it with other more flavorful cheeses and spices to make this sauce really pop.
So many things you can do with this dish! I’ll make variations of this recipe in the future, but for today, we’re keeping it pasta + cheese sauce exclusively!
- 112g pasta
- 120g 2% cottage cheese
- 15g Parmigiano Reggiano
- 15g Pecorino Romano
- 1 Garlic & Herb Laughing Cow cheese wedge
- 1/2 tsp minced or roasted garlic
- 1/4 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 20g pasta water
- Boil water, begin cooking pasta
- Grab a microwave-safe bowl and place 120g of cottage cheese and 1 laughing cow cheese wedge in the bowl. Mix, then microwave for 30 seconds.
- Remove from microwave, grate 15g of Parmesan and 15g of Romano cheese into the cottage cheese mixture. Add minced garlic, lemon juice, parsley, and a pinch of salt/pepper. Mix, then microwave for 30 more seconds.
- Remove from microwave, mix again, then place into a blender (alternatively, if you have a handheld immersion blender, you can keep in the bowl and blend directly).
- Add in ~20g of pasta water (either reserved when you drained pasta or scooped from the pot once the pasta is almost done). Blend until completely smooth and creamy.
- Drain pasta, add pasta back to pot, and pour Alfredo sauce over the noodles. Mix, let sit for ~5 minutes. Top with more fresh parsley, parmesan, or just keep it as is!
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Serving Size Entire Recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 640Total Fat 15gCarbohydrates 90gProtein 41g
This is a guest post from community member Tom Walsh:
“Hey there! My name is Tom, I’m brand new to the food blog/Instagram game, but I have spent the past several years living a lifestyle centered around flexible dieting. My creative outlet is creating macro-friendly recipes, specifically indulgent/nostalgic foods that I used to feel restricted from eating – you can find me @stealth_health_life on Instagram!
My goal is to help others experience this change in perspective and benefit from the freedom that comes with flexible dieting. Additionally, I hope that the recipes I create can help others find their own “spark” in the kitchen and experience the joy that comes with creating macro-friendly recipes of their own!”
The Hungry Truth is built on truth, no matter the source. We love accepting articles from our incredible community, allowing anyone to have their voice heard to help simplify health & nutrition.
Do you want to submit your own article? Head over to this link and submit your content!