Buttery Breakfast Sandwich
If you’ve never eaten at (or heard of) the restaurant “Eggslut,” they are famously known for their egg sandwiches.
When I visited Vegas, I waited in line for about an hour early in the morning to get my hands on their Fairfax egg sandwich. Was it worth it? Well, I’ll let you look at this photo of the sandwich so you could tell me…
Cheesy, soft scrambled eggs and a perfectly buttered brioche bun? Yeah, it was totally worth it.
Problem is, with it being absolutely loaded with butter and cheese and being quite a large sandwich, it’s not exactly the lowest calorie option out there. In fact, it wouldn’t be surprising if it was over 1,000 calories!
So, that is why we’re going to make our own!
With each sandwich being only 375 calories with 25g of protein, these buttery breakfast sandwiches can easily fit into any diet.
And while they may not be on Eggslut’s level, these sandwiches are damn good! They’ve become a staple in my weekend brunch rotation, and for good reason.
Soft, buttery brioche buns, cheese, scrambled eggs, and crispy bacon. Sign me up!
- 2 Brioche Buns
- 14g (1 Tbsp) Light Butter / Buttery Spread
- 3 Large Eggs
- 34g (2 Tbsp) Queso Cheese
- 4 Strips Center Cut Bacon
- 2 Slices Fat-Free American Cheese
- Salt/pepper (or extra seasoning of choice)
- Optional: hot sauce for topping
- Heat up a large frying pan over medium heat. While it heats up, spread the butter on each side of the brioche buns.
- Place the buns with the buttered side down and cover the pan (covering the pan helps the entire bun firm up vs just the one side). Toast the buns to your liking- it should take about 3 minutes for a golden brown.
- While the buns are toasting, we're going to make the bacon. Lay some paper towel on a plate, then place the bacon right on the paper towel. Microwave for about 3 minutes, no flipping required! The time may vary slightly based on your microwave.
- When the buns are toasted, remove from the pan and set them aside on a plate. Spray the pan with nonstick spray, then crack 3 eggs right into the pan. Add the 2 tablespoons of queso, and scramble that all up together. Right before removing from the pan, add your salt & pepper (or any preferred seasonings).
- Put the scrambled eggs on the bun, add the cheese on top, and then the bacon. If desired, add some hot sauce, and enjoy!
- You can make your bacon ahead of time using any cooking method you'd like. The microwave is just the easiest, and I am all about easy... especially first thing in the morning when I'm incredibly hungry.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1 Sandwich
Amount Per Serving Calories 375Total Fat 19gCarbohydrates 28.5gProtein 25g
Hey! I’m Matt, but you probably know me as @CheatDayDesign on Instagram. I’m the founder here at The Hungry Truth, and to say I’m passionate about what we’re doing here is quite the understatement.
Name a diet trend or crazy theory that has existed in the past 15 years, and I’d be willing to bet that I’ve tried it. I went through a period of not eating after 6pm. I also went through a period of eating pure honey before bed because I heard it burned fat while you slept. I’ve tried fat burning supplements, I’ve eaten low-fat, I’ve drank apple cider vinegar, I’ve chugged protein shakes during the “anabolic window” immediately after my workouts… I’ve seriously tried it all. And I’ve seen way too many people falling into those same traps as I did.
My goal is to help everyone make sense of this whole “healthy” thing. At the end of the day, we’re all going to have different definitions of what being healthy truly means, but there are ideas and principles that ring true for all of us. I want to bring that information to you, because we shouldn’t have to keep falling for these silly traps.